Nightguard in Woburn, MA
At Mooney Dental in Woburn, MA, we offer a simple yet effective dental appliance to protect your teeth from the harmful effects of bruxism: custom-made nightguards. A custom nightguard is comfortable, durable, and perfectly fitted to your unique dental structure. Protect your teeth during sleep with a custom nightguard.
What is Bruxism?
Bruxism, commonly known as teeth grinding or clenching, is a common condition in which people grind their teeth at night, typically during sleep. Chronic bruxism can result in a variety of dental health issues, including jaw soreness, neck pain, tooth wear, enamel damage, tooth sensitivity, and in cases of heavy grinding, severe tooth damage, and even tooth loss.
Night grinding often occurs due to stress, anxiety, or abnormal alignment of upper teeth and lower teeth (malocclusion). Sometimes, lifestyle factors such as alcohol consumption, caffeine intake, certain medications, or tobacco use can exacerbate the condition.
Benefits of Wearing a Nightguard
A nightguard, especially one custom-made to fit your mouth, can provide relief to individuals suffering from bruxism. Dental guards act as a protective barrier between your top and bottom teeth, cushioning the impact of grinding and clenching.
Here are some of the benefits you may experience when you choose to use a nightguard:
- Prevents Tooth Damage: Nightguards provide protection against grinding and clenching, which can result in cracked or fractured teeth.
- Reduces Jaw Pain and Facial Pain: By providing a cushion between the upper and lower teeth, nightguards minimize the strain on your jaw muscles, reducing the risk of muscular discomfort or more serious temporomandibular joint disorders (TMD).
- Alleviates Chronic Headaches: Chronic bruxism often leads to tension headaches or migraines. By reducing the force of grinding and clenching, nightguards can help alleviate headaches.
- Improves Sleep Quality: Wearing a nightguard can significantly improve sleep quality by decreasing discomfort and pain caused by bruxism.
- Improves Oral Health: By mitigating the impacts of bruxism, nightguards contribute to improved oral health, helping to preserve tooth enamel, and prevent gum recession, tooth sensitivity, and even tooth loss.
Types of Nightguards
At Mooney Dental, we understand that everyone’s needs are unique, especially when it comes to dealing with bruxism. That’s why we offer custom nightguards to suit your individual needs.
Here’s a look at the difference between over-the-counter guards and custom guards.
- Boil-and-Bite Guards: These are made from a thermoplastic material that softens in hot water. Once softened, they are placed in the mouth and molded around the teeth using finger and tongue pressure.
- Stock Nightguards: These are pre-formed and ready to use. They come in different sizes, so you need to choose one that best fits your mouth size. However, they may not provide as precise a fit as custom or boil-and-bite options.
Are Nightguards and Mouthguards the Same Thing?
While the terms ‘nightguard’ and ‘mouthguard’ are sometimes used interchangeably, they are not the same. Sports mouthguards are primarily used for protection during physical activities, like sports, to prevent dental injuries. Nightguards, on the other hand, are designed to counteract teeth grinding and clenching during sleep.
Nightguards may also be called nocturnal bite plates or occlusal guards. At Mooney Dental, we specialize in custom-made nightguards made specifically to protect your teeth from unconscious grinding caused by moderate to severe bruxism.
Your Smile Deserves the Best Protection
Don’t let nighttime teeth grinding interfere with your sleep. Invest in your oral health today with a custom nightguard from Mooney Dental in Woburn, MA. Contact our team to schedule your consultation and find out more about how these oral appliances can provide an effective solution for sleep bruxism.